Saturday, March 16, 2013

Winery Visit - Doukenie Vineyard, Purcellville, Virginia

I went to the Doukenie Winery in Purcellville, Virginia with my mom, family friend, and her daughter again. I literally had so much fun exploring and looking around! It was actually the first vineyard I've really been to! We went kind of later in the day so we didn't get to really see as much as I would have liked, so I would like to go again! Also it wasn't as nice of a day out, so I would like to go to another vineyard once it gets nicer out!

So our visit!
It started out as a beautiful day, it was very sunny, but it was windier than we thought and we went at about 4:30!
Silo at the very front of the vineyard
 When you come up to the vineyard you see this gorgeous old silo and little gazebo! My mom said there was a wedding here when her and my dad came last fall and it was absolutely beautiful!
Pond at the vineyard with benches

Vines right in the parking lot!
 The coolest thing I thought they had was vines right in the parking lot! There wasn't much to look at since they had pretty much nothing on them, but it was really cool because I got to get a really good look at them!
Excited to be at the vineyard

Front of the barn

Other pasture
 They had basically a farm on this vineyard as well! As you could see above they have a big red barn that's like their dining room and where they serve all the wines and have a bunch of other dining rooms and sitting rooms! I didn't go through them all because they said reserved and I didn't want to be rude taking pictures, but there were a lot of old time-y looking tables and set ups in their back rooms, it looked like a really cool place to have events!
Pasture
 We then went inside!
Looking out into their pastures

Their small DJ area
 They even had a small area to have a DJ set up!

Wine list for Doukenie

Wines and their medals
 They had this BEAUTIFUL fireplace with a great sign and their wines that had won medals!
Viognier

We bought a bottle of their 2011 Viognier and it was absolutely delicious! It was the darkest colored white wine I had ever seen! 
They had a beautiful little patio and some flowers out there I couldn't resist taking a picture of. 
Patio

Flowers
 So then we dove into the wine! We found out they also served food like bread, crackers and cheese, grapes, and other things. We ordered their bread because it was home made and she made it fresh right then and there! The bread was absolutely delicious as well as the wine!
Bread and Viognier

Sam loved the bread!

Before we destroyed it...

Bread and Viognier
This Viognier we tried was the darkest/brightest color white wine I had ever seen and I couldn't believe it! It had such a beautiful color and great taste, I loved it!
My mom and I

Mom and I with wine!

More Mom and I with wine...
 We then finished their bottle of Viognier and decided to get another bottle! We first thought we might try their Riesling next because our family friend really likes Rieslings. But the vineyard owner was very nice and honest and said "It's a veeery dry Riesling, how about you try it first then decide?" I loved that she said this! It seemed like such a surprise to me that someone would do this, but it made sense because then we tried their 2011 Mandolin, which is a mixture of Traminette and Vidal. It was SO much better than the Riesling. We decided to get a bottle of the Mandolin! And it was delicious!


Glass of Mandolin

2011 Doukenie Mandolin
 After we finished our two bottles of wine, bread, cheese, and crackers, we finally decided to venture outside to see the rest of the vineyard! The little girl we brought with us really wanted to see the horses they had, and they were beautiful and amazing! They had a lot of other animals as well, and we couldn't see all of the grounds so I'm not sure if they had more!
Pond

Horses
These horses were actually so friendly when they saw us they came up to the fences like this and let us pet them! Later on in the evening someone was actually riding the horses, so I'm not sure if they do anything with horses at their vineyard as well!
Back view of the barn
Last but not least, the vines! I looked through all the vines I could see and for the most part there were no buds or fruits or anything! They were all pretty scarce but it was cool to see how they have them wired up and this part in the process as well. 
Vines

Close up vines

Line of vines

Pasture of vines

One more close up of vines
Doukenie Vineyard was great! I loved their wines, they were really nice people and had great good as well, and their grounds were just absolutely beautiful! I would love to take another trip there, whether it be earlier in the day, for a longer time, for an event, for a tasting, or for anything! I really enjoyed going to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment