Saturday, March 30, 2013

SECOND tasting with food - Dom de Mirail Cabernet/Merlot Rose


Name: Dom de Mirail Cabernet/Merlot Rose
Variety: Cabernet and Merlot
Region: Cotes de Gascogne
Country: France
Year: 2011
Price: $5.95
Winery review: There is a fresh, crisp character to this light rosé. It is eye-watering in its refreshing character, with balancing acidity, smoothing out the edges with a touch of caramel.
my FIRST review: It had just a slight smell, not very pungent just slightly sweet with maybe a hint of what I thought was maybe a little fruity, not too strong at all though enough to distinguish anything specific. It had a little after taste which I thought to be the caramel, and I didn't really like the after taste. I didn't hate this wine, but I probably wouldn't have it again.
I did not have this with food, I had it on its own.
I tried this first the week of 2/17 at the Vintage Cellar


my SECOND review: I tried this in a completely different setting and liked it a lot better but a lot of other stuff was different so I just really wanted to post this!
Last night I tried this wine in my own glass, which is a hand held large bottomed glass with a large opening as well. I also tried this with colby jack cheese.
I basically couldn't smell ANYTHING when I tried to smell it, which I attested to the fact that this glass has a very large bottom and the opening is very large. But, upon tasting, I liked it SO much better than I did when I tried it at the Vintage Cellar. It was slightly sweet, which I tasted some lemony-citrusy flavors, and on the finish there was a nice balance of acidity but caramelly, and I kind of tasted almond, finish. The cheese I feel like really helped to balance it out by cutting a lot of the original acidity I tasted without the cheese. I liked it a lot better, and I see in my original post I planned to not get this wine again, but I'm glad I did because it was much better with food!

No comments:

Post a Comment