Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tasting - Chateau St. Jean Merlot


Name: Chateau St. Jean Merlot
Variety:100% Merlot
Year: 2011
Region: California (Sonoma Valley)
Country: United States
Price: $11.99
Critic review: Vintages Wine Panel: Chateau St. Jean’s winemaker, Margo Van Staave, has been working the vineyards here for over 30 years. In that time, she has created many award-winning wines, and was named 2008 Winemaker of the Year by Wine Enthusiast magazine. The 2008 Merlot is rich with notes of ripe cherries, wood and spice. Beautifully structured, the palate is well balanced and deliciously fruity right through to the end of the wonderfully long finish. This versatile wine will pair with a great variety of dishes. Try it tonight. My note: A consistency great producer! This merlot delivers the goods: plush plums, supple texture and full-bodied goodness. This wine can move from casual nights with take-out to a dinner party. Food matches: lightly spiced barbecued ribs.
(I could only find reviews for years 2008 and below for this vineyard and Merlot!)
My review: It had a very peppery smell initially with a lot of alcohol smell so I assumed it to be very dry. I got a slight hint of vanilla and black cherry. Upon tasting, it was definitely peppery and very dry, but I really liked the finish and the after taste it left in my house. I tasted this with dinner with my family, with steak and potatoes. My dad takes wine really seriously and was taking this tasting really seriously and was basically narrating everything from opening it to let it breathe, swirling it around, and smelling it like Gary V does. I really liked this Merlot especially with the steak, it made the finish much more interesting and tasteful. It let a good taste in my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment