Friday, April 26, 2013

Tasting - Reserve Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone


Tasting: Reserve Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone
Variety: 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and 10% Cinsault
Region: Rhone Valley
Country: France
Year: 2010
Price: $14.95/750mL, $38.95/3L
Shop review: As for their other values, the 2010 Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Reserve (70% Grenache, 20% Syrah and 10% Cinsault) displays loads of ripe flavors. It is very concentrated for a Cotes du Rhone, and is actually an amazing wine. Classic garrigue, black cherry liqueur,  avender, licorice and spice box are all present in this fullbodied, intense, and rich Cotes du Rhone. This is a sensational effort to drink over the next 4-5 years, although it might last even longer.
My review: It smelled immediately like dark licorice, which I hate. I have a weird taste aversion from licorice. It also smelled extremely spicy to me, a lot of pepper and other spices I couldn't quite place. I smelled no real floral or fruit notes, which scared me in a red wine because I've found my palate doesn't really like wines without those flavors. Upon tasting it was a very earthy, spicy flavor with a very tannic texture. It overpowered my palate and had almost a biting taste. I did not like this wine. I tried it on its own without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment